UK Marriage Visa/Spouse Visa

For a UK marriage visa or a spouse visa to be issued both individuals must be 18 before obtaining the visa.

The UK spouse visa would allow the individual's spouse to apply for leave to enter or leave to remain within the UK on the grounds that they are married to someone who has settled status in the UK. This would mean that the UK is their home and they are lawfully living here with no limit on their stay.

UK Marriage Visa / UK Spouse Visa – Duration

Once the applicant has received the UK Marriage visa / UK spouse Visa it will be issued for a two year period. Once this time is completed successfully they can then apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) which is also known as permanent residency.

UK Marriage Visa / UK Spouse Visa – Benefits

A few of the benefits for the UK Marriage visa / UK spouse visa is that once an applicant is granted the visa, they can take up employment straight away. There are no restrictions upon the type of work they undertake and no arrangements need to be taken for a work permit.

UK Marriage Visa / UK Spouse Visa - Eligibility Criteria

UK Marriage Visa / UK Spouse Visa – Age Limit

The UK marriage visa applicant must be 18 years of age or over. The partner who has settled status in the UK must also be 21 years of age or over.

UK Marriage Visa / UK Spouse Visa – Relationships Requirements

To qualify for the UK Marriage visa / UK Spouse visa couples must meet the following requirements.
Parties must have met each other and be married. Also they must intend to live together and be able to support themselves without any assistance from public funding in UK.

Finally a very important part of the UK Marriage Visa / UK spouse Visa requirement is that the couple must have adequate accommodation where they and any dependants can live without assistance from public funding.

UK Marriage Visa / UK Spouse Visa – Dependants

Any children who are under 18 years can be granted entry as dependents. These dependents would be able to make their application along with the main applicant. Once you have spent a total of three years in the UK and have met the requirements of residence you are eligible to apply for British naturalization so that you may remain in the country under UK citizenship.

English Language Test requirement

From 29 November 2010 the UK Border Agency has brought into force new English language requirements for married or marrying couples. Any migrant who wants to enter or extend their stay in the UK as the partner of a British citizen or a person settled here will need to show that they can speak and understand English. These new provisions apply to also to those applicants seeking entry to the UK as a fiancé or fiancee as well as to same sex couples.

Applicants will now need to meet the requirement if:

  • They are a national of a country outside the European Economic Area and Switzerland
  • They are in a relationship with a British citizen or a person settled in the UK
  • They want to apply to enter or remain in the UK as that person’s husband, wife, civil partner, fiancé(e), proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same-sex partner.